The Medinea members have ascertained the following:
- Bearing in mind the complex challenges that the Euro-Mediterranean region is currently facing, Medinea members acknowledge that we are at a turning point in time which clearly demands strengthening intercultural dialogue and creating the right environment for a peaceful coexistence.
- It is necessary and urgent to promote cultural diversity, intercultural creations, living together in peace, mobility in the Mediterranean, principles of reciprocity, and equal opportunities between cultures, between countries, and between women and men.
- Music has the incredible capacity to move beyond linguistic, social, political, and cultural barriers. It plays a key role in intercultural communication as it is a remarkable medium for exchange and dialogue between different cultures.
- Mediterranean music heritage has been shaped over the centuries thanks to permanent interaction and re-appropriation of various artistic traditions, demonstrating richness and diversity which must be made known, highlighted, and renewed.
- Heritage and creation mutually enlighten each other.
- Transmitting this music heritage to young artists, audiences, and future generations, enables a better understanding of cultures present in a place, and may bring citizens closer to each other and strengthen links between them.
- Collaboration between cultural institutions of the Mediterranean basin is fundamental for the development, mobility, and transfer of knowledge and skills.
- Intercultural dialogue requires better mobility of individuals.
In view of the above convictions, we pursue the following objectives:
- To encourage circulation of artistic expression, ideas, artists and professionals in the Euro-Mediterranean zone
- To promote a better knowledge and dissemination of diverse expressions of Mediterranean music heritage to young artists, professionals, and audiences
- To support professional integration of young Mediterranean artists
- To develop the community of young artists linked to the Medinea network in order to increase opportunities for professional encounters and transfer of skills
- To strengthen conditions necessary for the development of creative processes in the Euro-Mediterranean zone
- To reinforce collaboration with educational institutions in the Mediterranean region leading to more effective links between musical creation and higher education
- To establish Medinea as a label that promotes all the values and convictions of this manifesto
VISIT MEDINEA WEBSITE
The Medinea members signatories of Medinea’s manifesto are:
Amwaj — PALESTINE
ARC Research and Consultancy — MALTA
Casa Árabe — SPAIN
Conservatorio Giuseppe Verdi di Milano — ITALY
DimaJazz International Festival — ALGERIA
Ghassan Yammine Arts School in Beirut — LEBANON
Edward Said National Conservatory of Music — PALESTINE
Egyptian Center for Culture and Arts – Makan — EGYPT
Ente Musicale di Nuoro — ITALY
Escola Superior de Música de Lisboa — PORTUGAL
Festival d’Aix-en-Provence — FRANCE
Higher Institute of Music of Sousse — TUNISIA
International Cultural Center of Hammamet — TUNISIA
Istanbul Technical University / Dr. Erol Üçer Center for Advanced Studies in Music — TURKEY
Lebanese National Higher Conservatory of music — LEBANON
Montenegrin Music Centre — MONTENEGRO
National Conservatory of Athens — GREECE
Joven Orquesta Nacional de España (JONDE) — SPAIN
The Cairo Conservatoire — EGYPT
The Higher Institute of Music of Sfax — TUNISIA
The Opera Theater / The City of Culture — TUNISIA
The Palestine Philharmonie — PALESTINE
University of Arts of Tirana - Art Academy — ALBANIA
Academy of Music of the University of Ljubljana — SLOVENIA
University of Macedonia - Department of Music science & Art — GREECE
University of Zagreb - Academy of Music — CROATIA
Visa For Music — MOROCCO