Mediterranean Youth Orchestra
As part of the Académie du Festival d'Aix since 2014, the Mediterranean Youth Orchestra (MYO) offers talented young musicians from the Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur region of France and from the Mediterranean basin an immersion in the professional life of ensemble and orchestra musicians. For 30 years now, the MYO shares the pleasure of performing the symphonic repertory composed for large orchestras, and has placed creation and intercultural exchanges at the heart of its programmes.
Every year, some one hundred young Mediterranean musicians representing 20 or so different countries attend the MYO's sessions. They receive a high-level training and benefit from the presence of the prestigious artists in residence at the Festival d'Aix. The young musicians selected through auditions organised in the Mediterranean region in cooperation with the different national youth orchestras and music schools are brought together in a group residency and subsequently perform in concerts or participate in tours.
Determined to support today's young musicians in the transition towards professional life, the Académie du Festival d'Aix also proposes a programme to raise awareness of outreach activities and career development paths that offers occasional professional engagements to MYO musicians.
Created at the initiative of the Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Region and the Ministry of Culture and Communication, the MYO has been active in the Mediterranean cultural space since 1984. It has forged relations based on exchange and cooperation with some 20 neighbouring countries and over 2,700 young musicians have attended at least one session since its inception. In 2014, at the request of the public authorities, it became a component of the Académie du Festival d'Aix, while retaining its original missions and goals.
In 2018, the MYO leads four training programmes for young Mediterranean artists:
- SYMPHONIC SESSION | A programme designed for classical musicians offering an experience of life within a symphonic orchestra in a fully intercultural environment
Dates: 2018, July 10 - 28
Conductor: Kazushi Ono
Pedagogical coaching: London Symphony Orchestra
- OPERA SESSION Orfeo & Majnun | A programme designed for classical musicians offering the opportunity to participate in the creation of the opera Orfeo & Majnun as a member of the "Sinfonietta" (small orchestra)
Dates : 2018, April 23 - 25 and 2018, July 3 - 8
Musical direction: Bassem Akiki
- INTERCULTURAL CREATION SESSION | A programme designed for musicians with improvisation skills (Mediterranean musical traditional practices, jazz..) offering a space for creating a musical collective work within an intercultural ensemble, across experimenting improvisation and composition techniques
Dates: 2018, July 5 - 20
Musical direction: Fabrizio Cassol
Career development coaching: Christiane Louis
- RELAY ARTISTS | A programme designed for musicians and singers offering the opportunity to learn the specific skills required to lead participatory educational and outreach activities through experimentation and musical improvisation techniques
- Introductory module: 2017, November 24-26
- Comprehensive module: 2018, February 12-16
- Relay singers module: 2018, February 27 - March 3rd
- Project development module: 2018, June 19-24
Pedagogical coordination: Mark Withers